Every morning I find myself having a media breakfast way before I have an actual breakfast. This is what keeps me growing, learning and evolving as a designer. Here you'll find the components of that meal... and some random stuff on the side

Sunday, March 1, 2009

There was a time when...

Remember your first love? And how you two probably didn't work out. Now remember seeing that person again years down the road and how you got that tingly feeling?

Well that's what I'm going through with photography right now. I have done it since middle school and was damn good at it. It was my addiction and my therapy. I would spend hours upon hours in the darkroom where nothing would bother me. The fondest memories of my life are of when I spent the summer of 2004 at New York State Summer School of the Arts for Media Arts. All we did was breath, eat, live photography for a whole month 8am-7pm, an hour of lecture and then back to the darkroom. I swore to myself that I would never do digital and then freshman year of college came around. I no longer had endless supplies of paper or film. I also started working as an events photographer for The Munson-Williams Proctor Museum which required digital, instant results. Classes for my major got more intense and I spent less time shooting, especially 35mm and medium format. The main reason for going into Communications Design and not Photoography was so that I could learn new skills and have a job at the end of it all while still shooting on the side. Yeah that last part didn't quite work out.

Any time in the past 3 years that I've mentioned that Photography is my first love, I get a funny look. Understandable though, I've never been one to show much of my body of work but that is changing. So is me doing just digital. Starting tomorrow, I'm picking up a Holga 120FN and going to start shooting away. I love the quality of photographs taking with Holgas and will love having my first love back.











1 comments:

lobese said...

You gotta pick up film and I gotta pick up Polaroids tomorrow!! =)

Can't wait!

The building and koi fish photos are gorgeous!