Every morning I find myself having a media breakfast way before I have an actual breakfast. This is what keeps me growing, learning and evolving as a designer. Here you'll find the components of that meal... and some random stuff on the side

Sunday, February 22, 2009

I just want to dance.

I have resumed dancing. It has been gone from my life for way too long [thanks knee problem.. boo] and I've missed it. I have been thinking about my return but needed to find the perfect class for it.

My criteria: modern base, full of rhythm, and a fun environment/attitude. The last thing I would need is for my rusty self to be in a studio with 20 amazing dancers who live and breath dancing every day of their lives. That was me 5 years ago- not today!

I turned to the always trusting, extraordinary dance studio that Peridance Center is. It's right around the corner from work and I could just head over at the end of the day. All dance classes that I've ever taken while visiting or living in NYC have been at this place.

Peridance has many options, all depending on what you're looking for. I contemplated beginners ballet to get back into the technique aspect of things but that didn't really fit my original criteria of fun, full of rhythm. I then found Afro-Cuban taught by Noibis Licea...

His class description:
"This class is intended to create a movement environment that explores the various forms of Afro-Cuban dance tradition, while using modern techniques as a basis for strengthening and warm-up. The class will include discussion of the form’s history, and practice of different movements representing the Orishas (deities from the African traditions brought to Cuba) and allow discussion of the symbolism and importance of each movement and its application in dance expression. Each Orisha has its own unique identity and rhythm, and the steps and movement characteristics represent this through stories and interactions portrayed by the dancer. The class will develop an understanding of each Orisha’s specific steps and language in place, and as the course progresses, students will be able to use these combinations in traveling movements and be able to discern the different rhythms and calls to explore an even greater interpretation of the essence of each deity."

COINCIDENCE? [just for you molo] Members of my biological fathers side of the family practice Santeria and I have an uncle on my mother's side who is a Babalawo. I grew up around it. Although I have never been a believer, it is fascinating.

Back to the class-- it was amazing, an incredible work out that I'm most certainly feeling all over my body. Afro-Cuban is new for most of the students in the class. The way your body moves is unexpected. You could tell that a few of the dancers have a modern or ballet background. Most do the class for the experience of being exposed to an unfamiliar movement. It is loose and rhythmic, your body melts and grooves. Of course, I started out worrying too much about the combination and stopped having fun. Noibis probably caught on to that and reminded us all to just let ourselves go. I got over that hump and just closed my eyes and let the music guide me.

To my disappointment, the class is only being taught on Saturday evenings. It was originally supposed to have been on Fridays as well but because there isn't such a large turnout to the class, especially on Fridays they're going to see how the Saturday classes turn out and decide from there. I want for there to be a loyal following to this class, myself included. Pass the word out, not many Afro-Cuban classes are being taught in NYC.

1 comments:

lobese said...

haha COINCIDENCE!?! love u. i'm glad you're dancing again =)